Day Four of the WWFC writing challenge brings us the subject, “When Hell Freezes Over.”
Have you ever paused to think, “What have I done in my life that I once said I would only do when hell freezes over?” Maybe it’s time to do just that.
After writing my own list of things I never thought I would do but did, I felt a rush of humor, pride and accomplishment. Sometimes it is hard to step out of the bubble, but when you do you will find a world you didn’t even know was there!
Here is my own list of things I’ve done that I never imagined I would ever do:
- Eat a cricket.
- Go fishing. Catch a fish. Kill the fish. See what is in the stomach of the fish. Eat the fish raw.
- Cook chicken feet!
- Lift weights in the guy section. Yup, I did that and looked great. Then someone hit my car from behind and I haven’t been able to since. I take comfort in the fact that YEA, I DID THAT.
- Be the one who takes the boys to all the scouting events, to work with them on the Pinewood Derby cars and to take them on weekend scout camping trips. And be told by the troop leader that as one of the only mothers who did that, I rocked it more than most of the men. It was truly one of the proudest moments of my life.
- Have two dogs. One dog was a stretch for me. But then I discovered two dogs are better than one. They keep each other company when we are away, enriching their lives as well as ours!
- Sneak in to an abandoned building or two that MAY have had No Trespassing signs. All for the sake of art through photography, of course!
- Calmly work through situations consisting of bleeding gashes, potential broken bones, frightening hospital stays, vomit, a 911 call when my son couldn’t breathe and everything else you can imagine that involves children and accidents. I didn’t know I had it in me. But I do.
- Hold my dying father’s hand and tell him, “It’s OK to go.” Something I never thought I could do, but had to… and did.
If you honor me with a comment, I would love to hear something YOU have done in your life that earlier would have had you exclaim, “When HELL freezes over!”