Happy and Blessed Easter to All! Every year, the Easter Bunny hides Easter Eggs throughout the beach house, and hides Easter Baskets for the kids as well. The children get up way too early and hunt for their chocolate treasures.
This year was a bit different. We attended Easter Mass last night from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. It is a long Mass, but beautiful. The lights are off for half of it and everyone holds glow sticks. Yes, they represent the light of Christ, but are also a fabulous way to occupy kids for the first hour! <wink wink>
What was different? I have teenagers now. Apparently, they stayed up all night. My daughter woke me up at the crack of dawn, ready to hunt, while the teenagers remained in a comatose state, mouths open and eyes rolled up to the skies. They will probably be hunting around noon. Bittersweet.
My mother and I exchange baskets, and we sure know what the other likes. The basket is my actual Easter Basket from when I was a child! I’ve got to share my loot with you. Delicious, pretty and unpredictable. My mom ROCKS! Here is what I got:
- Dark chocolate ginger candy. This is almost like getting medicine in my basket, as ginger helps me on my bad stomach days. (see gastroparesis)
- Chocolate covered almonds.
- Soft peppermint sticks.
- Obligatory Peeps. You have to slash the top and let them sit until they are stale. Yum!
- Chocolate covered espresso beans. Coffee and chocolate = Heaven.
- Itunes card. Score!
- Fannie May vanilla buttercream eggs. I actually purchased a box of these and split them between my mother and myself. When I was a child, we had the 1 pound large dark chocolate Fannie May butter cream eggs with the yolk in the middle. These were the most extraordinary eggs, and it was not Easter without them. Unfortunately the company was sold and the new owners stopped production. You can get the smaller milk chocolate buttercream eggs that carry the slightest hint of the flavor, but the taste and consistency are just not the same. And of course there is no yolk in the middle.
- A neat folding grocery bag made by my mom, with a cardinal on the front – representing my dad.
- Cadbury Cream Eggs. Ahhhhhhhhhh
- Peanut Butter and Company Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter. My Precious!
- Are you ready for this? A bar of soap from China, labeled, “Natural Dirt Cereal Beauty Soap.” Like I said, Mom knows me well. This is a terrific Asian product with unusual packaging. Love it!
- A cast net for the ocean! We are in Corolla on the weekends during the summer, and often see people using these to catch blue fish as well as fun ocean critters. I will be using this with the kids to “explore” the ocean, but we will put our catch right back.
- And finally – something very special. I purchased a food dehydrator a few months ago, and ever since then my mom has been looking for my dad’s old recipe for beef jerky. She recently found it and tucked it in my basket. I can’t wait to try it when we get home!
I hope your Easter Basket is filled with as much yumminess and joy, and I pray you have a very Blessed Easter!
What are your Easter traditions. And even better, what’s in YOUR Easter Basket!