Lately I’ve heard many radio stations participate in a “Does That Make Me Crazy” hour. People call in and reveal something they do that others say is crazy. They play the Crazy song and decide if this person is indeed bonkers.
Today callers admitted to the following behaviors:
- Picking pebbles out of the car tires because the person “hears” them as he drives.
- Looking through every straw before using them for drinks.
- Feeding the dog at the table. Make that, the dog EATS at his own place setting at the table!
- Raising her feet when driving over railroad tracks.
- Only drinking water from a particular blue cup.
- Holding her breath when walking through a doorway.
Now, we all know I lost my marbles a long time ago. But I was thinking. Do any of my own idiosyncrasies make me a certifiable lunatic? You be the judge:
- If my clothes get really wet I get claustrophobic and feel like I am trapped. Bathing suits are fine – it’s the long sleeved clothes that get me.
- I throw salt over my shoulder every time I cook with it. EVERY time. AND I’ve taught my daughter that, who thinks it is totally cool.
- I won’t use a knife on basil because it is “bad luck.”
- I hold my breath and lift my feet when crossing a state border.
- Dare I tell you this one? If I hit something really hard by accident, like a chair, I ummm… pat it and think, “I’m sorry!”
- After I get gas I pat my car’s dashboard as a thank you for keeping me safe and getting me to the gas station on time. My kids think I am insane for doing this.
- You KNOW that if you sneeze your soul comes out, right? Right?? And that you have to do the sign of the cross so the devil won’t steal it? And that if you do it in public everyone will think you are crazy? This was my belief as a child. You know, all those Catholic school kid playground stories, right? So to this day, if I sneeze I will absent-mindedly make a little cross with my finger.
So, does that make me crazy?
And now the best part. Are YOU crazy? Oh I do hope so, for my own personal selfish reasons. Come on, give me the scoop. What do YOU do that people think is crazy!